When you’re starting a new medical practice, or when you’re looking to revamp your old and outdated website, a free medical website template can appear very tempting. There are even some very aesthetically pleasing templates that may seem to fit your needs perfectly at first. Below, I’ll outline the disadvantages to using a free medical website template.
Does Your Office Look Like You Got It For Free?
This might seem like an exaggeration, but after spending thousands of dollars and countless hours perfecting your practice, what do you want a new patient’s first impression to be? More often than not, your website will be the first thing potential patients see. It should reflect your skill and attention to detail to give them a good first impression. As I’m sure you know by now, it’s becoming highly unlikely for patients to walk in to get a tour without having first seen your website or having done some research on you and your credentials. Your website is a portal to your practice and is your first chance to attract new patients.
If you have spent time and effort to make the office for your practice appear welcoming and clean, a similar time and effort should be spent on your website. Don’t fall for the temptation that inherently comes with anything that is marketed as “free.”
5 Things to Consider When Evaluating a Free Medical Website Template
- Can You Customize the Template? First, what “medical” field does a free medical website fall under? As you can imagine, a website that is designed for a general practitioner will have different features than a website that may be better suited for a plastic surgeon. A plastic surgeon would likely want a photo gallery, while a general practitioner may not have the need for one. Generally speaking, free medical or dental website templates will not differentiate from one field to another. This is important to consider because a large number of leads for a plastic surgeon will come from their before and after photos.
- Is There a Simple Platform to Manage/Change Content? Keeping fresh content is very important to Search Engine Optimization (SEO), so it should be included in any Free Medical Website Template. From time to time, you may want to add a blog or a “Specials” page. Having access to change content whenever you see fit will be essential to any marketing plan.
- Does Your Free Medical Website Template Allow For On-Site SEO? The first step of SEO is creating appropriate titles, descriptions and keywords for every page of the site. Some Medical Website Templates don’t actually offer this ability, drastically limiting your ability to be seen by search engines.
- If you want to change the look of your website, will there be someone there to help you? The internet moves quickly and newly built sites can become outdated. When it’s time to freshen up the look and feel of your website, is there someone you can call to help you? Having access to someone who knows modern website design and development in your corner will give you the flexibility to adjust to competitive climate.
- Will Your Free Medical Website Template Include Marketing and Promotion? This is highly unlikely. As you know, marketing your practice isn’t cheap. It isn’t likely that a company offering free medical website templates will market the site once it’s done. Marketing and promotion of your website is essential to the success of your practice. After all, who cares if you have a beautiful site, if no one can find it?
Don’t make the mistake of trusting the future of your practice to a free medical website template. While it may seem like the simplest solution, the long term benefits are non-existent. It is important to invest in a world class website that adequately represents your world class skill and experience.
Omni Premier Marketing designs each website from scratch. Working closely with each client, we design a site to meet each client’s individual needs. Any site created by our team is designed with the future of your practice in mind and is visible within search engines. Since the sites are all custom-built, changing the site’s content, design, or overall layout is simple. INVEST in your practice today, and see the ROI pay off long term.